is a village in Poland, located in
north-eastern Poland in the Podlaskie Voivodeship near the border with Belarus.
Sites interest in Białowieża:
The origins of the names "Bialowieza"
During the last three centuries, various authors have
proposed many hypoteses; some semm to be more likely than others.
The first reference to the word "Bialowieza" was found in
Jan Dlugosz "Annuals: (annals of the famous Polish Kingdoms" written n
the years 1455 - 1480. Dlugosz wrote that in 1409, King Wladyslaw
Jagiello came from Kamieniec Litewski: "up the Lsna (Lesna) River to Bialowieza,
where during eight days he was hunting". Later, the name Bialowieza
is referenced by Marcin Bielski, in the middle of the XVI century. It
also appeared in various handwritten documents and royal correspondence.
What is interesting is that the plural form "Bialowieza" or "Bialowiez" was
used, wchih (in Polish means an sounds close to "white towers" and) allows us to
make conjectures that the name might originaly have been connected with some
unknown, white towers. However, various authors have been unable to reach
agreement about the kind to towers and where they might been situated.
The authors of "The ancient Polands...", Michal Babinski
and Tymoteusz Lipienski, speculatethat the white towers crowned a hunting
manor-house of Polish Kings, built in the :beginning of XV c. in the present
forest range. "Old Bialowieza" (as "Bialo" and "wieza" means "white" and "tower"
Contemporary authors from the East, suh as Franciszek
Giliński, Gieorgij Karcow, and others, pointed to a statement in "Ipatjeski
Latopis" where it is written that in 1276, The Duke of Wolyn, Vladimir
Vasilkovic, ordered to build a fortified tower in Kamieniec Litewski. Kamieniec
Litewski settlement was located between The Lesna and Biala Rivers. and its
inhabitans clled the tower "white" because it was unconquerable. Later the
tower began to be white painted. Others authors repeated ths
Some of them claimed that in Bialowieza Forest, there
were a few hunting manor - houses with white towers erected by Giedymin, Kiejsut
and other Lithuanian princes.